How to make sure you’re on top form whilst looking for your new job – 6 top tips
If you’re not working and you’re looking for a new job in marketing, staying positive and motivated is especially important. The longer it takes and the more knock-backs you receive, the harder it can become. But with perseverance comes reward – and maybe the job of your dreams!
Use these tips to help you stay confident and motivated in your job search.
- Visualise your perfect job – Write down the ‘must-haves’ for your new role; which of your skills do you want to use and enhance? How much responsibility do you want? Where would you ideally be located? Be prepared to be flexible about certain things such as your pay and benefits. Your perfect job may not always come with the perfect salary – initially, at least! All of this will help you build a vivid picture of exactly what you want and give you something to aim for. So when you see the perfect role, you’ll know straight away!
- Identify your skills – Think about what you’re best at and what makes you stand out. Not only will this help you identify the right job for you, it will also provide a handy confidence boost throughout your job search! Ask trusted friends and family what they think you’re good at; this will also improve your confidence – and help you answer those tricky interview questions! Although it’s also important to identify which skills you need to work on, focusing on what you can bring to the role will leave you feeling more positive. Remember, if you believe in your abilities, employers will too.
- Be proactive! – Even if it’s something small – making a phone call, sending an email – completing at least one task every day will keep up your momentum and create a sense of progression. That way you won’t get bogged down and will keep motivated.
- Look after yourself – There’s no denying how stressful searching for a job can be and it really can take its toll, both mentally and physically. So it’s important to remember that to be at your best, you have to feel at your best. This means making time for the little things that improve your health, happiness and wellbeing. Whether that’s taking exercise, meeting with friends or enjoying a healthy, home-cooked meal, just making time for the important things will help you face any challenges head-on and stay positive and motivated for longer!
- Network – use your contacts to seek out new openings. The chances are that somebody you know can help you in your search and whether it’s a friend or an ex-colleague, networking can be a fantastic tool to help you in your job search. Attending career fairs and paid industry events can expose you to potential employers and industry experts; don’t be afraid to approach them and seek advice. Whilst being professional, do try and establish a rapport. This way, if they have a role that needs filling, you’ll be front of mind. A ‘nice meeting you’ note afterwards never hurts either! Keep your LinkedIn profile up to date and make it clear that you’re seeking a new role – you never know where opportunities might appear!
- Keep in touch with your recruiter! – Your recruiter can be the most powerful resource at your disposal. A good recruiter will always have time for you, so don’t hesitate to get in touch. With new briefs coming in all the time, it’s important that they know exactly what you’re looking for – your perfect role may be already on their books!
Ultimately, your perseverance and positivity are the most important factors that will help you find the perfect new job. The more motivated you are, the more productive you’ll be and the more opportunities will come your way as a result. Motivation also breeds enthusiasm and this will come across in interviews. Do what you can to help yourself stay motivated and remember, at Direct Recruitment we’re here to help.